Monday, January 29, 2007

Sam's Recovery Day 32: 29 January 2007


Usual morning, with the ready to go Sammy-winks. His appetite continues to be good, everything working as normal, he is experiencing a bit more of a spastic right back leg, but that could be from the swim, and muscles not use to exercise, so we’re keeping an eye on that.

We got to decrease his pred down to 10mg twice a day, so that’s cool, and he has another swim appointment for Saturday, so things are going really well with his recovery.

Now, dealing with outside sources has been frustrating. There was some sort of fiasco with the pharmacy. Not only did they lose hubby’s prescription, but they claim that the surgeon hasn’t called in Sam’s prescription. I’ll give them until tomorrow before I start yelling at them. Luckily we have enough pred to go with the reducing dosage for a day or two until that gets cleared up.

Its now 7:30pm and I haven’t been able to do much of anything, let alone fix dinner (leftovers). This is the life of recovery. Everything takes a back seat to the care of Sam, which takes a lot of time. It also causes so much stress over the things not done that when things don’t go as planned, it tends to make you want to reach out and strangle someone. Typically, you tend to lash out at those closest to you, which is why its important to make the recovery pact early on: anything said during recovery should not be taken seriously.

Another thing to deal with is brain melt. We are constantly repeating each other. 10mg twice a day? Yes, 10mg twice a day. Do you have the leash? Yes, I have the leash? Are we taking him out now? Yes, we are taking him out now. Its like a demented kid’s show. Its also common to get so wrapped up in what you are doing for the recovering dog, that you forget to take care of yourself. Case in point, hubby has forgotten on a daily basis to take his medication. He will tell me: remind me to take my medication. Ok, I will remind you to take your medication. Five minutes later, we’ve both forgotten about him taking his medication, but Sam got his!

Today I only managed to eat 2 croissants (at work), and I heated up some leftover roast (and gave two small pieces to Loki and Meeshka). As I said before, recovery is a great weight loss routine. Between carting a 50lb dog up and down the stairs, running up and down the stairs for food, medicines, treats, and whatever else it was I was going to bring up or down the stairs and forgot in the three seconds it took me to run up or down the stairs, you get plenty of exercise. No time to cook, therefore quick meals, eaten on the fly usually.

For those of you that need to keep control over a lot of things in your life, you might as well just have yourself committed, because the house will be a mess, you’ll be lucky to do laundry once a week, easy things will become difficult if not impossible due to trying to tip toe around the house so you don’t wake the patient (kiss that vacuum cleaner good bye), and take advantage of every little moment of peace and quiet you get to do the essentials, such as pay the bills (making sure they go to the right accounts and are the right amounts in your frazzled brain), take out the over-flowing trash. Clean freak? Welcome to the world of rinsing out a nasty coffee cup with who knows what in it just to get that first brew of coffee in the morning. Watching tv is reserved for Sammy time, and usually he doesn’t like to watch the stuff you like to watch, except he is as mesmerized by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as hubby and I were. I swear, its a train wreck.

Sleep brings really strange dreams. This weekend I woke up to the end of a dream where the wind was blowing so hard that a passenger jet did a loop. Why? Probably from that european windstorm a while back, but why? Who knows. I tried taking a nap on friday and found myself dreaming that I was laying in bed wide awake. Did I really sleep, or was I really wide awake... regardless, I “woke up” more exhausted than when I threw myself into bed.

Do yourself a favor if you are a stickler for keeping “to do” lists: don’t. You’ll never accomplish everything you think you will, and its just too depressing to keep replanning your entire day, every day, when you get one thing of the 20 done on your list.