I'd also like to remind people to be cautious and mindful of your pets during the holidays. Its a busy time of the year, and you may have guests coming into and going out of your home that may not be mindful of your pet.
- Make sure your guests know the pet rules
- Make sure your guests are careful that no pets escape when they are going into or leaving your home
- Sometimes, if your pet is the nervous type, putting them in a quiet room or crated while your guests are around will help them feel more comfortable
- Make sure you are aware of all of the holiday decorations and other items that may be harmful or poisonous to your pet are out of their reach (the ASPCA has a great list here)
- Have your Emergency Vet number in a place where you can reach it quickly if you have to use it.
- The ASPCA poison control number should also be handy (remember, there may be a charge for using their service, but having used it in the past... its worth it, even if you just need it for peace of mind). The Poison control Web site also has a great list of bad items that may cause your pet distress.